Re: [Hampshire] '$100 laptop' to sell to public

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] '$100 laptop' to sell to public

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, John Cooper wrote:

> Perhaps you'll only pay VAT on one as the other is effectively a
> donation. The strong pound to the dollar helps here too.

If I have a friend buy the OLPC machine in the US then the plan would be
to hand carrying the device into the UK and only pay VAT on the value
declared at customs.

> Yes it is. They keep changing the name! You will not notice any
> difference once the app is loaded. It is slower to start, but not that
> slow to be irritating. The network and harddrive are very quick and
> SSH'ing is no different to a laptop.

It's definitely a possibility and I'm tempted, but I really don't need
another PC at home, even a small/low power device and I'm trying to resist
the urge to buy new boxes until I've disposed of some of the old ones...

Andy