Re: [Hampshire] Greetings!

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Greetings!
Paul Tansom wrote:

>>> As for RH support, I've had generally poor experiences. Their
>>> website is simply awful, and the support ranges from outright wrong
>>> answers to competent. I haven't experienced anything with a wow
>>> factor, but to be fair I've only used RH support three or four
>>> times.
>>>

>> It isn't that bad and similar to other providers.
>>

> I've not had major experience, but about the same as I've had of
> Microsoft support. Sadly Microsoft wins hands down on my tiny sample.
>
> I've spoken to Microsoft, who I haven't paid (bar the OS cost) and
> spoken to someone who was helpful and (amazingly) told me how to
> uninstall IE (which of course you can't do!) and apparently used and
> liked Linux. I can't remember off hand what the actual problem was, but
> removing IE was part of the solution somehow (in order to reinstall it).
>
> Having spoken to Red Hat support (who had been paid for a years
> subscription and support) and been told that since my hardware wasn't on
> the certified list (which at the time consisted about 80 models from a
> few major vendors) they wouldn't help me, was not impressive. That
> should have been made clear at purchase, and if you are selling a boxed
> piece of software you should be supporting a wider variety of hardware
> than just 80 models (if you're going to just support those, limit
> yourself to selling through the vendors of those machines). There were
> three issues in this case, one of which came down to the ide-scsi
> setting in the lilo boot parameters, and the other was an upgrade to OOo
> which seriously broke it (something I've not seen on Debian stable). I
> can't remember the last one off hand, it may have been to do with
> getting support for the nVidia chipset sorted (not just graphics, but
> sound, network, etc. as well).

Red Hat don't have the resources to support every bit of kit out there
so you shouldn't have so surprised. If you read M$ license you'll also
find a million get out clauses. The big difference is the M$ monopoly
(or Windows Tax) ensure they have the money to pay for a huge support
team. We've all paid for it so they are not going to be too fussy about
spending time with your problem.

> Marketing wise Linux is probably doing better in the big business arena.
> I guess this is where the money is, but whereas the value of the cost
> savings for small businesses could be much more significant, most seem
> happy to stick with Windows because of the perception of ease of use and
> 'everybody uses it' and 'people are familiar with it'. In practise it
> wouldn't be that difficult to pick up on the differences between Windows
> and Linux or MS Office and OOo, and ease of use can also equate to ease
> of allowing someone who doesn't know what they are doing to do it badly
> - as well as making it more difficult for someone who does know what
> they are doing to do it well!

Agreed. It is really about getting people to try Linux and make them
realise it doesn't have two heads. Big business are already using Linux
so increasing that market is relatively easy.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk