Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu sources.list

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu sources.list

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e3e100.hantslug.org.uk.16806': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Oct 12 15:20:05 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi James,

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 14:47 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I have an ubuntu machine that will never be connected to the internet.

Won't it get lonely?

> I wish to apply updates to it. So, I am thinking that I can create a
> CD with the contents of some bit of the ubuntu web site and point the
> /etc/apt/sources.list file at the CD for each update.
> Now, which files do I need from the ubuntu web site to do this?

You could use apt-mirror to get the whole of the feisty-updates (and
optionally feisty-proposed, feisty-backports, feisty-security and feisty
sections of the repo). Of course replacing feisty in all those with
whatever version you are running.

I use this to fully mirror the entire repo on a hard disk locally. The
whole thing comes in at 17G for binary only or 35G for bin+source.

Alternatively you could use aptoncd:-

"APTonCD is a tool with a graphical interface which allows you to create
one or more CDs or DVDs (you choose the type of media) with all of the
packages you've downloaded via APT-GET or APTITUDE, creating a removable
repository that you can use on other computers.
APTonCD will also allow you to automatically create media with all of
your .deb packages located in one especific repository, so that you can
install them into your computers without the need for an internet
conection."

Cheers,
Al.