Re: [Hampshire] Autodetecting software RAID devices

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Autodetecting software RAID devices
Adrian Bridgett <adrian@???> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 20:31:52 +0000 (+0000),
> Nick Chalk wrote:
>> I am running all the site's services on a
>> single P3-800, though, so the RAID-5
>> calculations will be quite enough extra
>> processor load.
> Well, on a (dual core, though I'll bet it
> ignores that) 1.86GHz Core2 Duo, the RAID5
> module says (see dmesg): 6260.000 MB/sec

That's hardly a like-for-like comparison, Adrian!
Even assuming that benchmark is representative of
server loads, the system I'm working on manages a
quarter of that figure.

Then it has to run Samba, OpenLDAP, CUPS, Postfix,
Dovecot, DSPAM, Clamav, ClamSMTP, Squid,
SquidGuard... :-)

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.