[Hampshire] Getting my hands GRUBby

Author: Alex
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Getting my hands GRUBby
[Quite sure I sent this to the wrong list, sorry if this is received
multiple times]

Hello,

I have an old laptop (desktop replacement; specs. below) that I seem to have
ruined the partition table/MBR on. A week or so ago, I loaded a GParted Live
CD and resized my root partition so I could install Windows 2000 on it
(don't ask why). I did so by removing 2GB from the root and created an empty
FAT partition. Once this has finished, I went to install Win2k and was just
about to continue with installing on this new partition when I decided
against it, and just rebooted (canceling the Win2k setup, of course). At
this point, I had no GRUB menu listed (I assumed I'd ruined the MBR or Win2k
setup had) and instead an error was listed (sorry, I don't have it to hand
anymore...you'll see why...). I resized the root partition to retake the
free 2GB and loaded up an Ubuntu Live CD and chroot'd to my root partition
(full partition explained below) and booted the GRUB shell, and executed the
following:

> root (hd0,1)
> setup (hd0)

This found the relevant stage[1,2,3] files under /boot and reported
successful. I umounted my partitions and restarted. All that is given now is
a blinking cursor and no GRUB menu. I used instructions from various
Googling sessions, the one I stuck with below[0]. My question is: How can I
restore the MBR so that I can boot into Ubuntu without going via a Live CD?
I only have Ubuntu installed (no dual-boot or anything).

Specs.
AMD64
1GB RAM
40GB HDD