Re: [Hampshire] One for the Bit Twiddlers out there

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] One for the Bit Twiddlers out there

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57304100.hantslug.org.uk.6472': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Oct 16 17:01:12 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi Stephen,

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 16:57 +0100, Stephen Davies wrote:
> I hve been given a small NAS device as payment for 'fixing' a problem on
> a Mandriva System where I wouldn't mount an NTFS volume properly.
> The NAS device uses ext2 for its filesystem and is very underpowered.
> Before I can blat the 120Gb disk, I need to try to get some files off it
> and give them back to the original owner.
> The problem lies that his backup software hiccupped and there are two
> directories with the same name of the root of the disk.
> So obviously, normal utilities will barf at this situation.

Personally I'd yank the disk out, stick it in a desktop and dd the
entire disk onto my own machine then monkey around with tools like fsck
on the image rather than the disk.

Cheers,
Al.