[Hampshire] PCI bus IDs? in xorg.conf

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] PCI bus IDs? in xorg.conf
I have just had a bit of a tussle installing (ubuntu) 7.04 into a PIII
machine which has a mainboard with on board (Intel) graphics chip (not
being used) and also a PCI graphics card (believed to be nvidia),
which is being used. th ebios did not seem to have a clear way of
choosing one or th eother, only auto or off (and 'off' was a real
problem....)

Most live CDs could not get any graphics display at all, only knoppix
was successful. I eventually found success by using the driver 'nv'
which was a logical guess after reconfig of the xserver-xorg showed
some hints in its errors.

However, it was also essential it seemed, (in xorg.conf) to get the
correct numbers for the BusID I started with "PCI:0:1:0" which seemed
to be a default value. It did not work. I noticed that knoppix used
BusID "PCI:1:0:0" in its xorg.conf. But this did not work for ubuntu.
The value which did work was BusID "PCI:1:7:0".

It works (!) and I am not complaining, but I realise I have no idea
what or why one PCI bus value is good or not. Can anyone explain
simply or briefly please? Could I have deduced the numbers by visual
inspection of the card position of what?

tia
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391