Re: [Hampshire] embedded expect

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] embedded expect
Simon reap wrote:
> Damian Brasher wrote:
>> I used a combination of:

> Tha't s the benefit of the "while" loop version - if you get the
> "yes/no" prompt, it answers it, if you don't it doesn't matter, it will
> just answer the prompts you *do* get. The above linear scripts will
> have to time out waiting for the "yes/no" if you are already
> authenticated, slowing things down a bit (and sending a superfluous
> "yes" back, which may confuse the next password prompt)..
>
> As you say, it's not really Voodo, just almost indistinguishable!

I believe there are tools to allow a user to build that indistinguishable
picture in the background while you use commands as you usually would:)

I have ordered the book. Expect is a very powerful tool complementing
other remote admin techniques and one I will try to become proficient in.
The loop is something I will develop as I get used to the syntax. Not for
general use if using root, unless you understand the consequences and
risks associated with storing root passwords in unencrypted form or work
without using root, i.e. sudo lends itself well in this scenario.

To readers I suggest you take care to have good physical security as well
as electronic security control over any machine you use with expect
*especially* on production networks.

Damian

--
Damian Brasher