Re: [Hampshire] Routing traffic

Author: Chris Dennis
To: johnrhunt, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Routing traffic
John Hunt wrote:
> Still no luck for me I'm afraid.

(snip)

The following works for me -- I know it's different because I'm using
tap0, but the principle should be the same.  I had to run (on debian)
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
three times before the error messages went away -- I think because
originally I had the tap0 entry after the bridge in the file, and the
bridge definition complained that tap0 didn't exist.

Note that there's no separate entry for eth0 at all -- that's what the
VirtualBox documentation says is correct.

----------/etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# tap0 - for vm debserv1, run by user chris
auto tap0
iface tap0 inet manual
         up   ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
         down ifconfig $IFACE down
         tunctl_user chris

# (NB put the bridge after the bits that use it)

# Set up bridging from eth0 to tap<n> for VirtualBox hosts.
# This machine will then use br0 instead of eth0 for its networking.
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
         address 192.168.1.3
         netmask 255.255.255.0