Re: [Hampshire] Tesco to ship Linux PCs

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
New-Topics: Ubuntu vs. XP (was: Re: [Hampshire] Tesco to ship Linux PCs)
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tesco to ship Linux PCs
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:33:37 -0000 (GMT)
"Vic" <lug@???> wrote:

> IME, installation is the single biggest hurdle to Linux adoption;
> although it's really pretty damn easy these days (certainly easier
> than a Windows installation),

I agree that modern installers are pain-free, even Debian which has
the unjustified label of being "for geeks"

Etch went on my Compaq N160 in less than 15 minutes for the basic
setup and found all the hardware. X-window went on with nothing more
complicated than "aptitude install xorg wmaker" (plus a few other
bits like opera & xpdf to get a system capable of browsing the net
and accessing my datafiles)

I didn't mess about with sound or printing as I won't need that for
what this laptop is going to do.

It just worked.

But the point is that it would have taken a lot longer to get xp
up and running safely if my memory of installing win2k is anything
to go on.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package