Re: Ubuntu vs. XP (was: Re: [Hampshire] Tesco to ship Linux …

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Ubuntu vs. XP (was: Re: [Hampshire] Tesco to ship Linux PCs)
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 at 04:26:53PM +0000, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> john lewis wrote:
> >I didn't mess about with sound or printing as I won't need that for
> >what this laptop is going to do.
> >
> >It just worked.
> >
> >But the point is that it would have taken a lot longer to get xp
> >up and running safely if my memory of installing win2k is anything
> >to go on.
> >

> Having done an XP install and an Ubuntu install in a dual-boot
> configuration on a home built machine this weekend I would say that they
> about the same in terms of complexity.

I believe that both are beyond the ability of most users. Anyone able
to install one should be able to install the other.

Though I don't want preinstalled anything, it is a fundamental requirement
for most users. Any experience user is going to wipe a box and install
it themselves, be that Windows or Linux, it's the best way to get a known
system without all the vendor bloat.

<snip/>

> In terms of the 'Internet test' Ubuntu failed on account of it not
> asking for nameservers during the install and me having to efit them in
> manually afterwards. Nor did it offer to configure the Linksys WMP54G
> PCI wifi card, which worked once I had supplied the security info
> post-install.

My latest Linux install worked as it picked everything up from my DHCP
server and just worked. Automatic configuration is a double edged
sword as is pre-installation. It's easy for new and inexperienced users
but it also usually means dreadful security...

> I would have to agree with John's comments about Debian by the way - no
> longer does it deserve the reputation of being difficult to install. I
> put it on the Slug and also built a virtual machine with it recently and
> it is very straightforward compared to the days of old. The only thing I
> would say is that the business of which CD to use and how many are
> needed might confuse someone not familiar with the different
> installation options.

I agree the current Debian installs are very easy to use. I've done Red Hat
5.x, 6.x, 7.x, EL2, EL3, and EL5 and Debian 3.0, 3.1 and 4.0, at least one
Ubuntu and though I have a preference for Debian it is very clear that
all the new installers are very good, MUCH better than the older and more
primitive ones of yore!

> The Ubuntu component of the install mentioned above is designed to
> semi-replace an XP-only machine used by my boys. Now they are encouraged
> to use Ubuntu for day-to-day tasks and only resort to XP only for their
> games. My daughter has been using Ubuntu now for several months and
> loves it.

I find that skilled computer literate people and people who know nothing
can easily learn to use and enjoy moder Linux systems. The biggest pain
are the middle ground Windows only experts who have a lot of painful
retraining to unlearn their bad Windows habbits and learn newer better
ones. My dad took to Linux without a problem, my partner knew Windows
already and though now more skillful than my father (a casual user)
found it harder at the very begining as she hwd to unlearn before
she could start learning.

The best thing at the moment is that Vista is sufficiently different
from XP than jumping from XP to a Linux may be a simpler unlearn/learn
step that moving to Vista!

> I am also just about to build out a machine with the leftovers for a
> friend and will endeavour to go the same dual-boot route with him too,
> although to be honest I suspect that he is likely to protest!

Those that know Windows may protest, those that know nothing less so.

> My wife is moaning about the length of time it takes her XP Dell i1300
> to boot, so that is next inline for an Ubuntu rebuild, which will mean
> that we are an MS-free household for all but gaming!

I became Windows free when I rebuilt my old Dell Inspiron from Win98
to Debian Etch earlier this year. We don't game but even if we did
it's ironic that Windows is only a gaming platform...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Linux users hate mixed case names, yet Linux supports it.
Windows users love mixed case names, but Windows doesn't support it.
    -- Andrew Tridgell