Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
New-Topics: Re: LVM (was Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up)
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up
On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:11:41 -0000 (GMT)
"Vic" <lug@???> wrote:

> >> I see you are using LVM so I do wonder why you didn't
> >> use /dev/sda as an LVM physical volume, extend the volume group
> >> into it and get your /home as a logical volume then.
> >
> > Because I didn't know how to??
>
> The three-line version:
>
> - Turn your disks (or partitions) into LVM-capable Physical
> Volumes (PVs) with pvcreate
> - Group your PVs into Volume Groups (VGs) with vgcreate
> - Slice off a logical volume (LV) for your filesystem with lvcreate

I had install etch onto one of the drives in my test box and used the
option to create LV with separate partitions for /home /var /usr
etc.

I have just wiped the second drive with cfdisk and
created /dev/hdb1 as type 8E.

I then ran 'pvcreate /dev/hdb1' and got response
    Physical volume "/dev/hdb1" successfully created

vgscan told me it had found volume group "telgar" using
metadata type lvm2

I then tried vgextend telgar /dev/hdb1 and got response
    Volume group "telgar" successfully extended.

so what has actually happened and how do I take advantage of the
'larger' volume. Does it just mean I now have a lump of unused space
attached to /dev/hda1?

cfdisk shows /dev/hda with /dev/hdb1 as a bootable primary Linux
ext3 partition and /dev/hda5 as a logical Linux LVM partition

cfdisk shows /dev/hdb with just /dev/hdb1 as a primary Linux LVM
partition

Both disks are 30gig and one is normally quite adequate for my needs.
This is the first time I have used LVM and I really don't understand
how best to use it.

Wikipedia says LVM can be used to

* Create read-write snapshots of logical volumes (LVM2).

* Stripe whole or parts of logical volumes across multiple PVs, in a
fashion similar to RAID0.

* Mirror whole or parts of logical volumes, in a fashion similar to
RAID1

amongst other things.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package