Re: [Hampshire] Me, John, Linux and Ubuntu

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Me, John, Linux and Ubuntu
On Mon November 5 2007 22:46, alan c wrote:
> Benjamin Ashton wrote:
> > Hello. I wonder if you can help me.
>
> [...]
>
> >     What does anyone think about my plan?  Am I barking up the wrong
> > tree? Are there any major drawbacks that I am unaware of?

> It sounds fine to me. I wish you well with it.
> Is it important that the next machine is a laptop? I mention this
> because you might get more for your money if you also consider desktops.
>
> Details: RAM is important, and the more the better. 128MB absolute
> minimum. 256 or 512 mb preferable (or more?). I run PIIIs with 384MB
> ram - a little slow but no real problem for me. I have just recently
> finished and delivered a PII 266Mhz (128MB
> ram) 4GB hd crt, cheap speakers, machine for a friends 2 year old
> child. Loaded with a lot of edubuntu (7.10) and community games. (The
> child user will be a non sudo user). This machine takes a while to
> boot up..... but the child is very happy with the performance of the
> (young) kids games :-) and the parents are delighted that a previously
> totally junk PC is now a central happiness resource.
>
> If you install ubuntu then do keep in mind also the ubuntu (help)
> forums and also the uk ubuntu discussion lists. All these are just as
> welcoming as the LUG.
> --
> alan cocks
> Kubuntu user#10391

If you want a desktop machine I can probably let you have a old desktop, I
have two, a 1ghz Intel with 512mb or a 1.2ghz AMD Duron with 256mb (I think
thats the spec), I believe the hard disks are around 20 or 30gb. The 1ghz
machine has a early beta version of mepis 7, I might have a 17" CRT you can
have as well (sorry no spare mice or keyboards).

Let me know off list if you are interested and we can organise things

Tim