Re: [Hampshire] SD Card Problem

Top Page
Author: James Ettle
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SD Card Problem

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x584e8100.hantslug.org.uk.31457': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Nov 6 13:25:42 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 13:20 +0000, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> Whilst trying to understand my camera problem, (discussed elsewhere,)
> I found that I had an unco-operative 512Mb SD card. Neither of my two
> current machines (ThinkPads, Etch and Gutsy) would acknowledge its
> existence, using either of my two plug-in SD card readers.

Not even at the raw block device (i.e., lower than partitions) level?

> I had repeated the test many times at intervals over a week and was
> about to consign the card to the landfill bin, when something prompted
> me to try once more with the same card readers on a much older,
> half-forgotten ThinkPad with W/98 installed.
>
> It worked perfectly. I was able to retrieve the photographs from the
> card and re-format it. This (Etch) machine then mounted it immediately
> and it seems now to be reading and writing faultlessly.
>
> I'm mystified. Can anyone suggest an explanation?

Borked partition table on the SD card confusing HAL?

James

--
James Ettle                                        jhe@???
Southampton High Energy Physics