Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Cameras revisited

Author: Gordon Scott
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Cameras revisited
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Stephen Davies wrote:

> John,
> If you use ONLY Aperture Priority Mode then welcome to the world of blurry
> pictures.
>
> Explanation:
> Most Poit and shoot digital cameras have pretty short focal length lenses.
> This means that there is a very good depth of field (when the zoom is less
> that 50mm 35mm film camera equivalent). Using aperture priority increases the
> aperture and gives you an even greater depth of field.
> This has to come from somewhere as the aperture, shutter speed and ISO Film
> speed equivalent have a fixed relationship. (See below)

Hm, now my idea of aperture priority is that _I_ define the appeture and
the camera adjusts the speed to get the exposure. If I set F8, the
camera uses F8 and if it can't get the speed sensible, it'll under or
over expose, or if the speed is too slow I'll risk camera shake (bean
bags rule :-).

BTW, for anyone who didn't understand the "why" of F8 and 3m settings,
the point is that things will be _reasonably_ in focus from something
like 1.5m to something like 25m (I didn't check those, so don't trust me
_too_ much). It's a bit like making an expensive camera temporaroly into
a very good Box Brownie :-)

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.