Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Box

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Box
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:21:17 -0500 (EST)
Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, john lewis wrote:
>
> > and I can now run XP Pro again
> >
> > thanks all
>
> I'm not sure you should be thanking people for that John....
>
> :)

mebbe not but if I am to persuade my wife to give up her w2k box and
move over to linux/kde I need to be able to run a certain piece of
windows software.

And that is the dratted Resource File Viewer the LDS provide for
viewing their Data CDs which, unlike other genealogy data CDs which
give you pdf files, are in a proprietary format.

I can install the Viewer application from CD but once it is running
it cannot see the CD drive so I cannot "register" the data CDs with
the app.

It is probably a matter of setting up VirtualBox properly but
currently my main system keeps dying on me as soon as I start
trying to do anything more than write an email. I cannot even do an
rsync of /home to my backup usb drive.

Now I have it running* again following its last 'death' I am going to
try copying just the Mail folder which is about the only thing I
don't have from 'home' already on the laptop.

*it won't just reboot, I have to leave it for ten minutes or so
before it will boot up so something is overheating I guess.

I'd left it on overnight without it dying but when I tried accessing
a samba shared drive from within virtual XP it died.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package