Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problem…

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problems?

wrote:

> > >    Right. The problem is in the postrm script. Looking at that, it
> > > runs "mime-update". What happens if you run "mime-update" on its own
> > > as root?

> > Tux:/etc# mime-update
> > bash: mime-update: command not found
> > Tux:/etc#
> >
> > Sorry, Hugo. I am presumably misunderstanding you. :-(
>
>    Absolutely. You misunderstood that I intended you to run
> "update-mime", instead of "mime-update". :)

Herewith another attempt!

While I was at it, I did a bit of experimenting. I have put a couple of
spaces in to make it a bit easier to read, especially as I again forgot to
grep the first time. No problem on konsole, but a problem here.

The most interesting (to me) bits are at the top and the bottom. (Before the
first space, and after the second.) It is all below again.

Lisi (P.S. I am off to bed and will hopefully awake to a slightly clearer
brain.)
Tux:/home/lisi# update-mime
Error: contents of '/etc/mailcap.new' do not match what was written -- abort
Tux:/home/lisi# cd /etc
Tux:/etc# rm mailcap.new
Tux:/etc# update-mime
Error: contents of '/etc/mailcap.new' do not match what was written -- abort
Tux:/etc# rm mailcap.new

Tux:/etc# ls
acpi                  console-tools     dictionaries-common  gnome-vfs-2.0
identd.conf      libgda          modutils        passwd-                  rmt
texdoctk
adduser.conf          cron.d            dirmngr
gnome-vfs-mime-magic  identd.key       libpaper.d      motd            perl
rpc                texmf
adjtime               cron.daily        discover.conf        gre.d
idmapd.conf      lisarc          motd.tail       pmount.allow
sane.d             tidy
aliases               cron.hourly       discover.conf-2.6    groff
imlib            locale.gen      mtab            popularity-contest.conf
scrollkeeper.conf  timezone
alsa                  cron.monthly      discover.conf.d      group
inetd.conf       login.defs      mtools.conf     ppp
scsi_id.config     ucf.conf
alternatives          crontab           discover.d           group-
init.d           logrotate.conf  Muttrc          profile
securetty          udev
anacrontab            cron.weekly       dm                   gshadow
initramfs-tools  logrotate.d     nanorc          protocols
security           updatedb.conf
apache2               csh               dpkg                 gshadow-
inittab          lsb-base        Net             python
selinux            update-notifier
apm                   csh.cshrc         emacs                gssapi_mech.conf
inputrc          lvm             netscsid.conf   python2.4
services           uswsusp.conf
apt                   csh.login         email-addresses      gtk-2.0
iproute2         lvmtab          network         qt3
sestatus.conf      vga
at.deny               csh.logout        enscript.cfg         hal
issue            magic           NetworkManager  rc0.d
sgml               vim
avahi                 cups              environment          hibernate
issue.net        mailcap         networks        rc1.d
shadow             w3m
bash.bashrc           cvs-cron.conf     esound               host.conf
java             mailcap.order   nsswitch.conf   rc2.d
shadow-            webmin
bash_completion       cvs-pserver.conf  exim4                hostname
kde3             mailname        openoffice      rc3.d
shells             wgetrc
bash_completion.d     dbus-1            festival.scm         hosts
kernel-img.conf  mail.rc         opera6rc        rc4.d
skel               wodim.conf
blkid.tab             debconf.conf      fonts                hosts.allow
ksysguarddrc     manpath.config  opera6rc.fixed  rc5.d
sound              wpa_supplicant
bonobo-activation     debian_version    foomatic             hosts.deny
ldap             menu            opt             rc6.d                    ssh
X11
ca-certificates.conf  default           fstab                hotplug
ld.so.cache      menu-methods    pam.conf        rc.local                 ssl
xdg
calendar              defoma            gconf                hotplug.d
ld.so.conf       mime.types      pam.d           rcS.d
sudoers            xml
chatscripts           deluser.conf      gdm                  hp
ld.so.conf.d     mke2fs.conf     pango           reportbug.conf
sysctl.conf        ytalkrc
complete.tcsh         devfs             gimp                 icedove
ld.so.hwcappkgs  modprobe.d      papersize       resolvconf
syslog.conf
console               dhcp3             gnome                iceweasel
libao.conf       modules         passwd          resolv.conf
terminfo

Tux:/etc# update-mime
Error: contents of '/etc/mailcap.new' do not match what was written -- abort
Tux:/etc# ls | grep mailcap*
mailcap.order:# preferences. See the mailcap.order(5) man page for more
information.
mailcap.order:# to propagate the changes into the /etc/mailcap file.
Tux:/etc#