Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Hand over your crypto key or else

Author: john
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Hand over your crypto key or else
On Wednesday 21 November 2007 09:44:46 Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:

> Ditto, I have keys I can't open myself! Basically the law is framed in
> a way that you are guilty and you have to prove you are not. In theory
> it you could plant an encrypted file on someone and because they claim
> to be unable to unencrypt it, they could go to prison.
>
> I understand why they want these powers, it's like forcing you to open
> a safe you own with a warrant, but physical world and the computer
> world are different and the government/plod's track record of incompetance
> does not bode well...
>
> --

There are crypto programs which use 100 random character passwords (each
character using 250 characters of the ASCII character set). The passwords
are in a file which is encrypted. If the file gets damaged you lose your
passwords.

There is no way you can remember the password. The programs have been
designed this way.

Can give a demo of such a crypto program.

John Eayrs