Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Hand over your crypto key or else

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Hand over your crypto key or else
* john (jee@???) wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 November 2007 18:09:09 Vic wrote:
> > > There are crypto programs which use 100 random character passwords (each
> > > character using 250 characters of the ASCII character set). The
> > > passwords are in a file which is encrypted. If the file gets damaged you
> > > lose your passwords.
> > >
> > > There is no way you can remember the password. The programs have been
> > > designed this way.
> > >
> > > Can give a demo of such a crypto program.
> >
> > You miss the point.
> >
> > It's not the difficulty of remembering the key that matters.
> >
> > It's not whether you store the key in your head or in a key-safe programme.
> >
> > The salient point is that if you do not surrender the key to the
> > authorites on demand, or else provide a cleartext version[1] of the
> > encrypted lump, they can send you to prison.
> >
> > The way you generate your keys has little importance in comparison to the
> > loss of your liberty *just because some plod thinks something might be an
> > encrypted file, even if it's not*. Failure to decrypt something that
> > cannot be decrypted (because it is just rubbish - not an encrypted file at
> > all) is a criminal offence under RIPA. Don't think they won't use those
> > powers...
> >
> > Vic.
> >

> > [1] Quite how the Police Farce are going to prove that some random text is
> > unrelated to the encrypted lump is beyond me; I expect it's down the the
> > defendant to prove his innocence again, though.
>
> On Wednesday 21 November 2007 18:09:09 Vic wrote:
> > > There are crypto programs which use 100 random character passwords (each
> > > character using 250 characters of the ASCII character set). The
> > > passwords are in a file which is encrypted. If the file gets damaged you
> > > lose your passwords.
> > >
> > > There is no way you can remember the password. The programs have been
> > > designed this way.
> > >
> > > Can give a demo of such a crypto program.
> >
> > You miss the point.
> >
> > It's not the difficulty of remembering the key that matters.
> >
> > It's not whether you store the key in your head or in a key-safe programme.
> >
> > The salient point is that if you do not surrender the key to the
> > authorites on demand, or else provide a cleartext version[1] of the
> > encrypted lump, they can send you to prison.
> >
> > The way you generate your keys has little importance in comparison to the
> > loss of your liberty *just because some plod thinks something might be an
> > encrypted file, even if it's not*. Failure to decrypt something that
> > cannot be decrypted (because it is just rubbish - not an encrypted file at
> > all) is a criminal offence under RIPA. Don't think they won't use those
> > powers...
> >
> > Vic.
> >

> No I have not missed the point. If the key is unavailable because it has been
> deleted and the key is 100 random characters long then the authorities cannot
> expect you to produce something that is impossible to give them.

> [...]

On the one occasion when I was in a court (as an observer), it was
quite frightening to listen to the two barristers and judge discuss
major evidence in the form of a report from the police computer
expert. Not one of them had a clue what the report said, and they
simply pulled random figures and quotes.

As they were discussing a point of law, they did this without the
jury present. In the end, they proceeded with the trial without
using the report from the police computer expert. After, I was able
to read the report myself, and was amazed at how much information it
contained that both barristers and judge had obviously not
comprehended.

So although the jury do decide, as you say, they can only decide
based on the information that is presented to them. When both
barristers and judge don't understand that information, and
therefore allow it to be omitted, then the jury can't really be
expected to do a proper job.

--
Philip Stubbs
http://www.stuphi.co.uk