Re: [Hampshire] Asus Eee PC video review

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Asus Eee PC video review
** john lewis <johnlewis@???> [2007-11-22 15:06]:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:22:53 +0000
> Jim Kissel <jlk@???> wrote:
>
> > the Asus 701 doesn't run gOS. gOS is a Debian (Ubuntu?) derived OS
> > with Enlightenment DR17 desktop manager that runs on the $199 USD
> > Everex gPC that is being sold by Walmart in the USA.
>
> http://www.thinkgos.com/design.html
>
> that looks to me like it is aimed at kids, it would not
> persuade me to try the enlightenment desktop manager
>
> does gOS=GoogleOS ??

** end quote [john lewis]

Enlightenment is actually pretty good. I used it for around a year about
5 or so years ago having realised that I was using it to underpin Gnome
and Gnome wasn't giving me any functionality I'd miss if I dropped it
and used raw Enlightenment.

Having said that it had a new version that seemed to stall in
development iirc, and I'm not entirely sure whether it is out even now.
The website talks about E17 (erk!), but it seems to only be available
through CVS which makes me think it is still in the pre-release stages.

I tried XFCE and ended up switching and haven't had much urge to switch
back though. I did like it while I was using it - it felt very *nix and
not like Windows which was a major plus that both KDE and Gnome lack for
me, and I guess XFCE to a slightly lesser extent (more so with the way
it is configured in Ubuntu than the way I had it running in Debian
though).

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: