Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] - 64 bit Fedora

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] - 64 bit Fedora

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57999100.hantslug.org.uk.10649': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Nov 22 20:10:21 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Thursday 22 Nov 2007, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Rob Malpass wrote:
> > Brilliant ;-] Thanks Al
> >
> > This prompts two more related questions:
> > 1) I tried a 64 bit ubuntu version on my Sempron box last summer but
> > couldn't really detect any major speed benefits - presume even now
> > this will only be visible in certain (presumably maths intensive)
> > applications?
>
> Correct.

64-bit CPUS can address more memory and address it more easily, so if you had
64Gb of RAM on your box in 64-bit life would be easy, in 32-bit mode it gets
complicated. As most of us at most have at a maximum of only 4Gb it's not
something to worry about much. AMD claim that their processors are mildly
faster in 64-bit mode as it's cleaner than the legacy Intel 32-bit mode, but
you'd hardly notice.

As Rob says number crunching, e.g. video coding cam make a difference, most of
the rest of the time you'd never notice.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
    -- anon