Re: [Hampshire] link - ASUS eeePC: First impressions and GPL…

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] link - ASUS eeePC: First impressions and GPL violations
On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 02:24:19PM +0000, alan c wrote:
> You might like to be aware of GPL issues, even though the product is
> such a Wow:

Is Cliff a Lawyer? I see very little evidence on that site of a GPL
violation, just his hearsay. I would rather a more comprehensive technical
summary were posted than the kind of handwaving that he's done.

> 'ASUS eeePC: First impressions and GPL violations'
> http://cliffhacks.blogspot.com/2007/11/asus-eeepc-first-impressions-and-gpl.html

Would be nice if he contacted Asus in the first place before blogging about
it. It really doesn't do our community any favours at all to start wagging
the finger and throwing legal threats around as the opening gambit in my
opinion.

I agree with one of the comment posters on that site. Given the amount of
effort they have gone to to put out a Linux based machine I would be willing
to bet it's a boneheaded mistake rather than a deliberate ploy to "steal
from the community".

> I am a supporter of honorable GPL related practice and maybe I will
> donate to a fund which will legally help to ensure Asus acts in a more
> fully enlightened way. Perhaps the donation may delay my purchase of a
> product?

There's plenty of other people buying them that will already delay your
purchase :)

Cheers,
Al.