Re: [Hampshire] Linux on machines with small RAM

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux on machines with small RAM
On Wednesday 05 Dec 2007, James Ogley wrote:
> A friend of mine's just bought an old laptop[1] for his kids to use
> and wants to install Linux on it. It's only got 64M of RAM and a
> 6G hard drive.
>
> Does anyone have experience of [relatively] modern Linuxes that are
> targeted at low-spec/old hardware and can make a recommendation?
>
> [1]
> http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?lang=en&product_id=15371&me
>nu=&submenu=&session=717c977c19019951d3681edb94f630b6 --
> James Ogley
> james@??? http://usr-local-bin.org
> GNOME for openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/download/GNOME:/
> Help end poverty: http://oxfam.org.uk/in

I run DSL on a lesser machine than that and it seems very happy.

To quote from their FAQ at
http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ

Minimum Requirements for DSL with X-Window:

    * i386
    * 8 MB RAM

So you should be safe enough!

Another good one, especially for ease of installation and for built in
multimedia apps is dynebolic:

http://www.dynebolic.org/

"It is optimized to run on slower computers, turning them into full
media stations: the minimum you need is a pentium1 or k5 PC 64Mb RAM
and IDE CD-ROM"

HTH, Peter