Re: [Hampshire] software mirror

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Chris Dennis
CC: Hants LUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] software mirror
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 at 04:30:45PM +0000, Chris Dennis wrote:

> >Most of the disk will be mirrored and then LVMed before applying
> >filesystems, I was wondering about the boot partitions though, as
> >I believe out of the box GRUB doesn't boot from a mirrored boot.
> >I believe it's possible to create a mirrored boot though, any
> >good tips or how toos? Or can the Debian installer do it all
> >automatically on it's own thesedays?
> >

> Yes, the Debian (and Ubuntu) installers can set up a RAIDed system for
> you -- but note that GRUB (and LILO) can only handle RAID-1 -- not
> RAID-5 or other complicated stuff.

I thought that may be the case by now. I'll give it a whirl in
a VirtualBox session.

I was only thinking of mirroring (RADI 1).

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Deck of Cards: $1.29.
"101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
    -- Shane Lazarus