Re: [Hampshire] software mirror

Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] software mirror
On Tuesday 11 Dec 2007, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Tue Dec 11, 2007 at 20:42:16 +0000, Adam Trickett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 Dec 2007, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> > > grub-install /dev/sda
> > > grub-install /dev/sdb
> > >
> > > That should be it IIRC. Worth checking mind :)
> >
> > Seems to work okay, grub installed on the first drive, so I just manually
> > added it to the second.
> >
> > Now if I can be bothered, I should be able to remove either file system
> > and it should still work in the VM!
>
> Yes :)
>
> One thing to make sure is that you have swap on RAID too - too often
> I've seen people use /dev/md0 for the root filesystem then use
> non-raided swap. If you have a dying disk and local-swap your machine
> will most likely panic and die..

I've seen that in a few places, it seems people are tempted to create two
equal sized swap partitions one on each disk for performance reasons, and
then wonder why it all falls over in a heap when a disk fails!

I'm just making the disk fail in Virtual box, and it seems to boot okay! I've
just got to re-sync things and I'll be happy!

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Considering the number of wheels Microsoft has found reason
to invent, one never ceases to be baffled by the minuscule
number whose shape even vaguely resembles a circle.
    -- anon, on Usenet