[Hampshire] Another lucky escape...

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Another lucky escape...
Hi All.

I'm feeling very chuffed tonight, so I thought I'd tell you all about it.

I've had another disk crash. Yes, it's a Maxrot (and if that isn't the
most apt typo ever, I'm a chinaman).

Anyway, I set about trying to fix it. fsck wouldn't touch the filesystem;
it got an I/O Error at the beginning of the LV, so it barfed. So I used
dd_rescue to copy as much of the LV as possible to a file on one of the
working partitions. Gotta love that lvresize/ext2online combination :-)

fsck will run happily against said file. There was quite a bit of
fixing-up to be done - but it all happened just fine. A quick loopback
mount of the file shows that it does indeed contain a valid filesystem.

So I trimmed the faulty LV back to the smallest size I could, created a
new LV, built a filesystem, and copied the data over from my loopback.

And I'm now posting this from the machine that was totally borked a couple
of hours ago :-)

So - new drive tomorrow, I think...

I *love* having an open operating system :-)

Vic.