Re: [Hampshire] Executable wierdness (?ubuntu-related?)

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Executable wierdness (?ubuntu-related?)
> I suspect that you're missing the 32-bit libc and associated tools
> (like the 32-bit runtime linker).

Yep. That was it.

The execve() call returning "not found" stumped me - but looking a little
closer, it did actually assign filedes 3. Note to self: open eyes next
time...

>    On Debian, there's a package called ia32-libs which contains or
> depends on most of the basic libraries used by 90% of packages.

Is that going to exist on all 32-bit installations? i.e. can I use this as
a dependency & have apt sort out whether I'm on 32-bit or 64-bit?

> don't know what the equivalent is on Centos, or whether you simply
> have to install libc6.i386.

RH-based systems are dead easy for that sort of thing - you just install
the .i386 rpm. It can get a bit bloaty if you try to do too much - but
them's the breaks.

>    Alternatively, build the binary again on your 64 bit box.

Not easy at this stage; the base build is 32-bit specific. I hope to
change that at some point - but that's bot going to happen this week :-)

Thanks!

Vic.