Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: m.nuttall
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
Quoting john <jee@???>:

> Martin wrote:
> > Is there an upgrade cd available to upgrade 10.2 to 10.3?
> >
> > I only have 1meg broadband so cds are downloadable but not dvds.
> >
> > Not seen it on a magazine cover dvd recently?
> >
> > Martin N
>
> Hi Martin
>
> Go to http://software.opensuse.org/ you can get the live CD here.
>
> You can download DVD's using bittorrent. But this will depend on what your
> download limit is.

still too slow for me to do it over xmas hols.

> A good simple lightweight bittorrent program is transmission
> http://transmission.m0k.org/. You can start and stop downloading with this
> program very easily.
>
> I have downloaded DVD's on my 2 MB connection only to find that they failed
> download correctly. Where as downloading using bittorrent on transmission
> they download extremely well.
>
> The DVD from http://software.opensuse.org/ will upgrade 10.2 to 10.3. I have
>
> not tried this with the live CD.

At the address you gave there is a base cd and add on cd so it looks like its
doable to install via cd.

Thanks for the information.

BTW i did try the fedora live cd install but it wasnt clear how it was going to
install itself. I have a messy system of 3 windows 1 syllable os and suse linux
over my boot hd.

Martin N