Re: [Hampshire] HP Laser problem

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HP Laser problem
On Wed December 26 2007 20:06, Tim wrote:
> I have a HP Colour Laserjet 2600n with a built in print server which my
> Mepis 6.5 PC can connect and prints to without a problem
>
> The same PC dual boots Mepis 7 (a fresh install of V7 Final) but it can not
> see the printer (via KDE Printer config) or print to the printer on the
> network. It can ping the IP address of the printer without a problem. I
> have checked and double checked the driver and setting are the same as
> those in 6.5. I tried HPLip Toolbox but that made a bigger mess of setting
> the printer up (as it did when I tried it in 6.5). I set the printer up
> using KDEPrinter config
>
> When I tried to setup this printer in mepis 6.5 I tried using the cups
> admin setup this also failed. But I have not tried it yet on version 7
>
> I checked the cups log and found the following entry:
>
> 25/12/07 22:10:35 PID 30150 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped
> with status 1!
> 25/12/07 22:13:20 CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
> 25/12/07 22:13:32 PID 30896 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped
> with status 1!
> 25/12/07 22:17:24 cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not
> found! 25/12/07 22:17:24 cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate
> not found!
>
> The cupsdAuthorize line is repeated 100's of time
>
> Any suggestions
>
> Tim

Answering my own post here. The problem was that mepis 6.5 (unbutu based) came
with the foohp2zjs driver where as mepis 7 Debian based does not even though
KDE says it has the drivers to install it it does not.

Some googling and a gentle prod in the direction of openprinting.org and I
found that you have to download and compile the driver. Well compiling is not
my forte' but once I had down loaded the required software (kernel header
etc.) the compile worked first time and a quick installation with the cups
web interface and I now have a working printer.

Tim