Re: [Hampshire] The end of an era

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] [OT} Mud Huts
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The end of an era
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:00:13 -0000 (GMT)
"Damian Brasher" <lug@???> wrote:

> Paul Tamson wrote:
>
> > You can take that two ways. Without Microsoft stagnating things,
> > what innovations would we have had by now? ;)
> > ** end quote [Adam Trickett]
>
> Without soggy mud huts those blokes with the revolutionary kiln
> down the track wouldn't have made a name for themselves in the
> village providing waterproof bricks:)

<pedant mode>
I doubt those mud huts were soggy as lime mortar (a centuries old
technique) combined with overhanging thatch roofs kept them pretty
waterproof. There are still cob*' cottages existing in the New Forest
for example. The link below refers to the use of the technique in
Devon:

*http://www.cobblocks.co.uk/cobhistory.htm

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package