Re: [Hampshire] Samba and MS vista

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba and MS vista
On Fri January 4 2008 08:54, Stuart Matheson wrote:
> According to distrowatch (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?
> distribution=mepis&a=1) mepis went from samba 3.0.22 to 3.0.24. Here
> are the release notes for your version http://www.samba.org/samba/
> history/samba-3.0.24.html . Have a read through there, I did a brief
> skim and noticed quite a few mentions of smb.conf.
>
> Good luck!
>
> On 03/01/2008, at 8:42 AM, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> > * Tim (xendistar@???) wrote:
> >> So to correct the message, if I am in mepis 6.5 my XP and vista
> >> boxes have
> >> full read right access to the shares, if I am in mepis 7 then
> >> neither my XP
> >> or Vista boxes can access have access to the shares.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts??
> >
> > You said originally that the config file was the same in both
> > cases. Has the version of Samba changed between 6.5 and 7? If so, is
> > it possible to use the older version of samba in Mepis 7? Is there
> > a known problem with the version of Samba included with Mepis 7 and
> > if so, I would expect there to be a work around. Is there a more
> > recent version of Samba than the one available in Mepis 7 that could
> > be used?
> >
> > Just some thoughts. I am no Samba expert.
> >
> > --
> > Philip Stubbs
> > http://www.stuphi.co.uk

Thanks for the help so far but I still can't get vista to see the shares let
alone connect to them.

I know that the following ports need to be open for Samba to work (I know I
don't necessarily need 901);

* netbios-ns - 137/tcp # NETBIOS Name Service
* netbios-dgm - 138/tcp # NETBIOS Datagram Service
* netbios-ssn - 139/tcp # NETBIOS session service
* microsoft-ds - 445/tcp # if you are using Active Directory
* Port 389 (TCP) - for LDAP (Active Directory Mode)
* Port 445 (TCP) - NetBIOS was moved to 445 after 2000 and beyond, (CIFS)
* Port 901 (TCP) - for SWAT service (not related to client communication)

But apart from checking that the ports are open in service.conf how can I test
that each port is open and can be seen by the vista box.

Tim