Re: [Hampshire] ZFS or equivalent available for Linux?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ZFS or equivalent available for Linux?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5864c100.hantslug.org.uk.14375': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jan 14 17:57:14 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Damian,

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 05:40:25PM +0000, Damian Lajos Brasher wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 15:24 +0000, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> > While ZFS is in BSD and on it's way into OS X it's not likley in Linux
> > in the short term because there are disputes about Suns CDDL licence.
> > I'm not qualified to comment, but it's clear we won't have native
> > ZFS in the stock Linux kernel any time soon.
>
> How is it that the BSD licence model can cope with the Sun CDDL licence?

Because BSD goes with anything. You can include BSD licensed code
into proprietary closed source products -- and Microsoft did/do.

GPLv2 (and later) has a clause that says you can't further restrict
people's use of the software, and CDDL does. Realistically the only
possibility of native ZFS in Linux is if Sun dual licenses it.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.