Re: [Hampshire] Macbook Air (ok, it's not factory linux but …

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Macbook Air (ok, it's not factory linux but you can install it)
* Adam Trickett (adam.trickett@???) wrote:
> > I didn't particularly want to start a long discussion or anything, I
> > just think apple gets a bad rap often for no *real* reason (imo!)
>
> I'm not anti-Mac, it's a nice but proprietary Unix system with a pretty GUI
> and generally well thought out hardware and software. If any one would like
> to give me one, I'd rather have a full-spec 13" Mac Book (black)...
>
> The only problem with the Mac are the clueless zealots that go on and on about
> them, annoying everyone else.

I like Apple engineering. They consistently seem to be able to
deliver products that work well (enough) and look cool.

My problem with them is the way they try to tie you in to buying
more Apple gear. My brother is a fan, and has an Apple notebook, and
an iPod. He likes iTunes and has some fancy wireless device to drive
his speakers, that works really well. The only problem is that the
wireless speakers only work with iTunes. Why? Why can't the iPod
that also has wireless use the speakers? Even other programs that
use sound cant use the wireless speakers.

The way iPods are tied to iTunes is also very annoying. I like the
iPods. But I don't want to buy one because I don't like iTunes.
Being forced to jump through hoops to get it working is not my idea
of good design.

The annoying thing is that the problems I have with Apple are not
technical. As I said before, the hardware is great, the software is
OK, but the artificial limitations built within them sucks.

It could be that I am simply jealous. If I had the money, I could go
out and buy all Apple kit, forget all about interoperability, and
let it all 'just work' :-)
--
        _
    ,--(_)