[Hampshire] Debian packaging: is there a complete set of ins…

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Debian packaging: is there a complete set of instructions anywhere?
Hi All.

I'm trying to build some .deb packages, and I've run into a few snags. If
anyone can point me at a complete set of rules (i.e. not
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html , because
that's missing the "fine print"), I'd be grateful...

Firstly, I'm trying to build a package based on someone else's tarball,
but somewhat modified. So if I unpack foo.tar.gz, rename the directory to
bar-<version>, make my changes then run dh_make, I get a
bar-<version>.orig.tar.gz.

Now this is exactly the same as my original tarball - size and md5sum
match. But trying to change bar-<version>.dsc to mention the original
tarball doesn't seem to be allowed; is there a way to do this (I want this
to be traceable...)?

Next up, I seem to have misunderstood the $(DESTDIR) bit of the
maintainer;s guide; if I want a package to install a file to /lib32/ (as
its Makefile does), where do I put that in the source package? My build
installs the file correctly, but the package it creates doesn't :-(

Thanks!

Vic.