[Hampshire] Playing video over NAS without mounting the shar…

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Playing video over NAS without mounting the share
Morning all

[My first message to this list using Evolution and not Outlook - let's
hope it works]

I have noticed a little annoyance - for some reason, Totem crashes when
I play video (avi, mpg) stored on my NAS if I get to it via Network.
If however, I mount the NAS - the same file works with no problems.

Given mounting the NAS is pretty simple (and indeed I could have it
mounted automatically at startup) it's not much of an annoyance - but
OTTOMH I can't think why this is happening.

The symptoms of the Totem crash are it sits there with the first frame
of the video file visible and the play icon is there to be clicked on
(whereas other files just start playing without needing that button
clicked). When I click it (having ensured by waiting 30 seconds that
it won't do anything if I don't), Totem just closes and I'm back to the
desktop.

Music and other files are working fine with and without the NAS mounted.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Rob