Re: [Hampshire] Xwindows

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xwindows

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56caa100.hantslug.org.uk.11993': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jan 31 15:37:40 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 03:24:00PM +0000, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> On Thursday 31 Jan 2008, Owain Clarke wrote:
> > I had a kernel panic last week and since it's been sorted out x has
> > no longer been autostarting. I log in at the prompt and "sudo gdm"
> > brings everything back to normal so I thought that creating
> > /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm would solve it, which it doesn't - obviously
> > don't really understand the function of that directory. Any
> > suggestions what to try next?
> >
> > Owain Clarke
>
> The files in those directories are symlinks to /etc/init.d files (in
> case that's not what you did). You can use one of various apps such
> as sysv-rc-conf to handle the links via a gui or use
>
> sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/gdm /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm
>
> to do it manually. If you already did that then it might be worth
> looking in /etc/init.d/gdm to see if there's a variable acting as an
> on/off switch.

Also check your runlevel, which you can find in /etc/inittab,
looking something like this:

# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

In this case, the runlevel is 2. If yours isn't 2, then you've put
the symlink in the wrong directory, and should be using one of the
other rc<N>.d directories instead.

Hugo.

         --- Why play all the notes, when you need only play ---
                           the most beautiful?