Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft wants to purchase Yahoo

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft wants to purchase Yahoo
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 at 07:40:03AM -0500, Andy Random wrote:

> Microsoft has offered to buy the search engine company Yahoo for $44.6bn
> in cash and shares.
>
>    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/business/7222114.stm

> "Ultimately this corporate marriage was forced by the rise of Google,
> which has grown into a serious competitor for both Microsoft as a software
> company and Yahoo as an internet portal," said Tim Weber, business editor
> of the BBC News website.
>
> "It is a shotgun marriage, but the person holding the shotgun is Google."

Sounds like a marriage made in hell. Yahoo are a large open source web
company slowly losing out to Google. Most of Yahoo is LAMP and though
they don't have the buzz of Google they are opensource friendly. Microsoft
have a dismal web persence, loose money hand over fist and are most
definatly not LAMP...

Microsoft have the money and I'm sure would buy Google if they could afford
too, and while Yahoo are not that bad, they are loosing the war against
Google and I'm sure their shareholders would rather sell out and let
Microsoft fail against Google...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

In the field of observation, chance favours only the
prepared minds.
    -- Louis Pasteur