[Hampshire] DNS lookup and VPNs

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hants LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] DNS lookup and VPNs

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x580a3100.hantslug.org.uk.15897': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Feb 6 14:28:41 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
I have an internal NATed network at home. I also have a VPN set up
from my laptop to home. Obviously, being a laptop, it can appear on
the net in various locations at different times, and will obtain its
network configuration via DHCP.

However, there is a consistent and reliable element to the
networking configuration on the laptop -- the VPN address, which is
always the same (internal, private) IP address.

Now, if I want to connect to a machine on my home network, I have
to use its IP address rather than a DNS name, because my machine is
configured by DHCP to use whatever the resolvers are for the current
local network. Setting the machine to use my home DNS server by
default would also be a bad idea, as there are some locations I've
been where I can't get the VPN through, and it's on the wrong end of
an ADSL line, so will be slow.

Thus, the main question is: Can I tell my laptop to use one DNS
server for a specific subdomain, but use the DNS server provided by
DHCP for all other domains?

i.e. looking up carfax.org.uk use 10.2.0.18
     looking up darksatanic.net use 10.2.0.18
     looking up anything else, use whatever DHCP told me to use.

Hugo.

   --- Our so-called leaders speak/with words they try to jail ya/ ---
        They subjugate the meek/but it's the rhetoric of failure.