Re: [Hampshire] File Integrity Check

Author: john
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] File Integrity Check
On Wednesday 06 February 2008 17:16:05 Russell Gadd wrote:
> I would like to set up a file integrity check as a security measure on a
> standalone (home) PC (I know this is closing the stable door after the
> horse has bolted). One problem with such measures is to avoid running it
> within a compromised system as any malware could interfere with the
> operation of the checking program or the signature database. I have an idea
> which is outlined below which may contain some fundamental flaws so I would
> welcome any comments.

Hi All
I am very interested in this question.

I had to write my own problem to tackle this problem on Windows. Wine now
being as good as it is can run my program ok. The program I used using the
windows API but this works fine in Wine.

This means that I can use a knoppix live CD make a database of SHA1 file
signatures which I then can automatically compare at a later date if I think
my system has been compromised. The database my program creates can be
encrypted so that it cannot be modified by mischievous persons without me
knowing about it.

The question I have is what files and directories do I need to create a
database of SHA1 signatures of?

John Eayrs