[Hampshire] ndiswrapper

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] ndiswrapper
I am trying to setup the D-Link DWL-G650 card I acquired
yesterday and it seems I need to use ndiswrapper with the dlink
driver I got by downloading dwl520+_drivers_307.zip.

I also installed ndiswrapper-utils & ndiswrapper-common from the
debian lenny archives but there isn't a modules package.

I had tried to follow the wiki item which suggested downloading a
module from deb http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/debian ./ but this
link no longer works.

So I got the latest ndiswrapper (1.50rc3) and unpacked it. tried to
run make and got this error

"Cannot find kernel version in lib/modules/2.6.33-3/build
is it configured? "

I am feeling particularly dim this morning (result of disturbed
nights since mother-in- law came out of hospital) and cannot think
what I may need to install to create the ndiswrapper module.

I seem to have build-essential installed on the laptop so is all I
need is a kernel-headers package for the kernel version?

Incidentally the wiki item for wifi-radar suggests using a ubuntu
package for sarge. I don't know if there is a native debian
version in sarge as yet but there certainly is one in lenny.

John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server