Re: [Hampshire] Re:Application installers

Author: Andy
To: lHampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re:Application installers
On 21/02/2008, Vic <lug@???> wrote:
> And although we'd all love
> every single piece of code in the multiverse to be Free, in reality that
> is not how things are, and probably never will be. As such, distributing
> binary-only[3] packages should not only be possible, but should not be
> especially difficult.

Why should Debian assist you in violating their core beliefs?
If you open source your code I am sure someone will give you a hand
getting it working on certain platforms but to claim Debian should
make it easy for you to do something that they may well disagree with
is absurd.

> The .deb format is proving to be
> troublesome.

It's Ubuntu developer week this week[1] and there are some sessions on
packaging debs.
I think you may have missed then though but the logs are online. There
were session on Packaging 101[2] and Desktop Packaging[3]. There is a
session on Library Packaging from 1900 UTC, till 2100 UTC on Friday
(#ubuntu-classroom disscussion on #ubuntu-classroom-chat on the
Freenode IRC Network, irc.freenode.net).

Reading some of the sessions could provide some insight into Deb
packaging. It is Ubuntu centred but the tools are pretty much the same
across distros so it should be relevant to an extent.

Of course the best bet is to Open Source/Free your code and let the
distro specific packagers fix it for you.

There was also a project the aimed to provide a way of packaging it
once and then running it on any distro I can't for the life of me
remember what it was called though.

Andy

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek0802/Packaging
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek0802/Desktop

--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath