Re: [Hampshire] Re:Application installers

Author: Steve Kirk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re:Application installers
On Thursday 21 February 2008 14:45, Vic wrote:
> >  Those binaries have no external dependencies beyond the expected:
> >  steve@steve:~/forth/usr/bin$ ldd vfxlin
> >          linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)

> I don't know what this is, nor where the dependency comes from.
> "locate linux-gate" returns nothing...

You've probably found what this is via google by now, but I've been
confused by this appearing when running ldd then not finding it on the
file system in the past.

My understanding is it's a 'phantom' shared library provided by the
kernel to facilitate efficient system calls.

I'm by no means a coder or kernel hacker, but this seems a reasonable
explanation:

http://www.trilithium.com/johan/2005/08/linux-gate/

Cheers,
Steve