Re: [Hampshire] Debugging pipes

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debugging pipes
On 22/02/2008, Vic <lug@???> wrote:
> > If I run exim and cyrus-imap inside gdb, this also does not help, as
> > the process used to do the receive into cyrus looks like a fork or
> > exec from the cyrus-imap process, and gdb does not attach to them.
>

> ...But it can do.
>
> Use the "set follow-fork-mode" command to tell gdb to trace children.
>

> Vic.

The imap server, cyrus uses exec instead of fork. I don't think there
is an option for gdb yet for that.
The master cyrus process is called "master", and it execs a different
binary called "lmtpd" to get the email from exim. gdb cannot follow
this currently, as far as I know.
I will try the strace on "master" when I get a moment.

James