Re: [Hampshire] Firewall stuff

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Firewall stuff

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57167100.hantslug.org.uk.7084': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Feb 29 23:47:06 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Isaac,

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:56:38PM +0000, Isaac Close wrote:
> However since i'm using a 'recommended' SME (rubbish) server as a bet, it fell to its knees to my delight. That's only a start. The person in question arguing the toss states that I need a hardware firewall, for example 'endian'.
>
> No I don't, i use iptables.
>
> Without harping on too much about this subject, i was wondering about other peoples opinions about the need for a BIG SHINEY EXPENSIVE EVERYTHING WILL BE OK BS FIREWALL BOX, and perhaps to know what other people are using.

Can you make it work without a hardware firewall? Yes.

Is a perimeter firewall and a firewall on every machine as well a
good idea? Yes.

Is having a pair of hardware firewalls for failover recommended?
Yes.

Does your project justify the expense of a hardware firewall, or
even two? Your call.

I've never heard of Endian. Most of these things are just BSD/Linux
boxes with some sort of management interface, but that is not
necessarily a bad thing.

Cheers,
Andy