Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Record Deck Sought

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Record Deck Sought
Tim B (Systems) wrote:
> I suppose that depends on how you interpret the law ;-) I see no reason why
> converting the format of media should be an issue. Distributing it is another
> matter. But hey, I have problems with the legal aspects of DVD Encryption
> too!!

Apparently under a strict interpretation of British law there is no
'fair use' policy, so even ripping a CD for use on your own player is
technically illegal. It remains to be seen if any court would prosecute
you, but that is no reason to advertise the fact that you do such things
on a public list given the loony nature of the record companies and
their refusal to lead the way into the future, preferring to be dragged
there kicking and screaming by their customers.

Bit of an odd statement from someone looking to purchase old technology, eh?

;-)

Sean