Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Adding disk to RAID 1 on Windows Box

Author: Tim B (Systems)
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Adding disk to RAID 1 on Windows Box
This rather depends on how the RAID array is set up. If you are dealing with a
hardware RAID array, then it really does depend on the motherboard.

The good news is that you can find out how it's set up by looking at
the "disk-management tool" in the "control panel". If you see one hard drive
then you are using a hardware RAID, if you see two, then it's a software
RAID.

Now, if you're using a software RAID array, you can just plug the disk in and
go. Hardware RAID is a different matter. The only way to find out is to try
it, and read the messages at bootup. Hardware SATA controllers are not
expensive, if you're at all worried, buy one and set up the new disks from
there.

Hope this helps,

Tim B.