Re: [Hampshire] Help with gdb...

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Help with gdb...
On 06/03/2008, Vic <lug@???> wrote:
> > Recompile your program with debugging symbols.
>

> I can't. The comiler I'm using is the compiler I'm writing. And I haven't
> got debugging symbols nailed down yet...

Ah, that is a problem then.

> But I *do* have the -dev versions of the shared libraries I'm using; all I
> want is for gdb to load symbols for those libraries so that I can see
> what's going on in someone else's code when I breakpoint there.

I may be wrong, but I don't think -dev version of libs have symbols in them.
The -dev suffix just means that you can use them to compile your own programs.
I think if you want to get debug symbols in shared libs you have to
compile the libs yourself...with a compiler that generates debug
symbols.

I use gentoo for my devel system, because with that I can control
whether debug symbols are in a particular lib. By default they are
not.

James