Re: [Hampshire] "Can't live without..."

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Can't live without..."

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58424100.hantslug.org.uk.13936': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 7 12:47:07 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:57:07AM +0000, Isaac Close wrote:

> --- Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
> >
> >    The thing that probably makes me step back and
> > say "how cool is
> > this?" most often is bash. The flexibility and power
> > of the basic
> > shell tools frequently amazes me -- you can do some
> > incredibly complex
> > data processing using just pipelines, shell variable
> > substitution, and
> > a small set of maybe 6-8 tools like grep, sed, cut
> > and so forth.

> blimey perl must really bake yer noodle !

Oddly enough, no, because with perl you (I) tend to have to write a
separate script file to make it work -- the length of a usable perl
script on the command line is quite short. I can do more in one line
of shell script than I can in one line of perl on the command line.

Perl has its uses, but I rarely find myself thinking "ooh, nice
piece of work" after I've used it.

Hugo.

       --- The early bird gets the worm,  but the second mouse ---
                            gets the cheese.