Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions

Author: Russell Gadd
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: jonnyx10e3
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions
Jon Wilks wrote:
> Jack Knight wrote:
>
>> Russell Gadd wrote:
>> Or of course my personal favourite, VirtualBox. It's free, does multiple
>> snapshots, has lots of tweakable options and IMHO is faster than VMWare.
>>

> I agree on VirtualBox. I have found it to be very usable. The
> following link was useful when setting it up.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
>
> Jonny.

Jonny,

I decided to give Virtualbox a go and followed your link to install on
Ubuntu 7.10. I used the steps specified for Gutsy but this failed at the
first hurdle: Running the "install" command I got the message:

    FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found.
    * Modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why

However dmesg had nothing in it relating to this

I posted a more complete description of my problem in a Virtualbox forum
here
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=5082&sid=207d8269d486283119faafcbebfc4c16
but so far no-one has responded to help.

Did you follow this recipe? Any clues you could give would be appreciated.

Russell