Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions

Author: Russell Gadd
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Russell Gadd wrote:
>> Jon Wilks wrote:

>>> I agree on VirtualBox. I have found it to be very usable. The
>>> following link was useful when setting it up.
>>>
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
>>>
>>> Jonny.
>>>

>> Jonny,
>>
>> I decided to give Virtualbox a go and followed your link to install
>> on Ubuntu 7.10. I used the steps specified for Gutsy but this failed
>> at the first hurdle: Running the "install" command I got the message:
>>
>>    FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found.
>>    * Modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why

>> However dmesg had nothing in it relating to this
>>
>> I posted a more complete description of my problem in a Virtualbox
>> forum here
>> http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=5082&sid=207d8269d486283119faafcbebfc4c16
>>
>> but so far no-one has responded to help.
>>
>> Did you follow this recipe? Any clues you could give would be
>> appreciated.
>
> Hi Russell,
>
> Is there a reason why the version within the Ubuntu repositories is
> not suited to purpose?
>
> There may be in which case please ignore the question. I used Synaptic
> to install Virtualbox on two machines here and have yet to encounter
> problems with the installation. I do have a problem regarding USB
> devices not showing up within the VMs which I may put into another
> thread, but ironically it appears this may be one reason why one might
> want to install the package provided by Virtualbox rather than the
> version from the Ubuntu repositories, from what I have googled.
>
> Sean

Hi Sean,

Since you said you didn't have any problems installing it this way I
tried it. However it failed just the same. I kept my eyes on the
"details" panel and the same error flashed by, although Synaptic didn't
tell me about it when it had finished. In any case the Ubuntu community
website recipe uses apt-get which does use the version in the repositories.

I haven't resorted to trying to install the source manually and
compiling, as clearly others have been able to do it the easy way with
dowloaded binaries.

I may try installing it under Debian Etch (as I have it as one of my
multibooted OS's) to see if I can get any joy there.

Russell